Mal-A-Ket Shampoo (Chlorhexidine Gluconate/Ketoconazole/Acetic Acid) Tweet
What is Mal-A-Ket Shampoo (Chlorhexidine Gluconate/Ketoconazole/Acetic Acid) used for?
Mal-A-Ket (Chlorhexidine Gluconate/Ketoconazole/Acetic Acid) is a topical medication used to treat fungal or bacterial infections of the skin affecting cats or dogs. The shampoo destroys or stops the reproduction of bacteria and fungus cells making it easier for the animal's immune system to control the infection. This medication is meant for external use only.
How should I use Mal-A-Ket Shampoo (Chlorhexidine Gluconate/Ketoconazole/Acetic Acid)?
Mal-A-Ket (Chlorhexidine Gluconate/Ketoconazole/Acetic Acid) should be applied like a normal shampoo two to four times each week. Rinse your pet before each use to remove any dirt or loose skin. Apply a small amount of shampoo, create lather, and distribute it evenly over the animal's body. Allow the medication to soak for ten minutes to make sure it is absorbed into the skin. Thoroughly rinse the shampoo off of the skin while preventing it from contacting any mucous membranes such as the eyes, nose, ears, or mouth. Be sure to ask your veterinarian any questions you have about the medicine to make sure you are using it correctly.
What are the side effects of Mal-A-Ket Shampoo (Chlorhexidine Gluconate/Ketoconazole/Acetic Acid)?
Mal-A-Ket (Chlorhexidine Gluconate/Ketoconazole/Acetic Acid) will not cause side effects in most pets when used correctly. Immediately halt use of the medication and contact your veterinarian if you observe any worrying symptoms affecting your pet such as vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, lethargy, tremors, or signs of an allergic reaction such as hives, swelling, or difficulty breathing. These conditions may require reduced application frequency or other adjustments to your dog or cat's regimen to prevent further complications from appearing.
Do not apply Mal-A-Ket (Chlorhexidine Gluconate/Ketoconazole/Acetic Acid) to skin that is broken or severely damaged. It is also important to inform your veterinarian if your pet has reduced liver or kidney function as these conditions may cause unexpected problems during treatment.
Strictly follow all instructions provided to you by your veterinarian or pharmacist while using Mal-A-Ket (Chlorhexidine Gluconate/Ketoconazole/Acetic Acid). Optimum and safe dosage can differ based on the animal and the condition being treated.
As this medication may be unsafe for certain pets, it is essential you always inform your veterinarian if the animal is pregnant or nursing, as well as if it has any allergies, other illnesses, or ongoing health conditions, and if it is taking any other form of medication, supplements, or herbal products.
Immediately seek emergency medical care if your pet has an allergic or hypersensitive reaction. Common signs of a reaction include hives, swelling, skin rashes, chest pains, as well as trouble breathing or swallowing.